In the run up to the April 2017 election ballot initiative question about ending water fluoridation in Durango, campaign contributions poured in on both sides, with opponents of change having raised eight times more than Clean Water Durango, reports show.
Among the roughly $40,000 dollars that was donated to the No on 1A campaign, also known as Healthy Kids, Healthy Durango campaign, were both monetary and in-kind contributions from a range of people that included dentists, businesses, and a charity organization in Denver.
Read a digitized version of the pro-fluoridationists first report on their campaign contributions and expenditures here, and the second report on their campaign contributions and expenditures here.
Some of the donors on that list included 16 dental professionals, two employees of San Juan Basin Health Department, a doctor for Axis Health Systems, a retired abortion provider, a retired anesthesiologist, a lawyer, two real estate agents, a nurse, a physician for 4Corners OBGYN, three local businesses, a coordinator for the San Juan Citizens Alliance, and Healthier Colorado, a $5 million dollar charity that’s funded by several hospitals in the Denver metro area.
The three local businesses that donated to Healthy Kids, Healthy Durango, the pro-fluoridation campaign were FastSigns, Pediatric Partners of the Southwest, and 4 Corners Endodontics.
Additional donations to the pro-fluoridation campaign came from Durango City Councilors Sweetie Marbury and Dick White.
Contributions From Dental Professionals
The list of dental professionals who contributed to the campaign to deny Durangoans informed consent to being medicated with fluoride in their drinking water, an FDA-defined drug, includes the following:
- Angela Pinkerton of Durango Kids Pediatric Dentistry
- Dr. Nathan Robison of Twin Buttes Dental
- Mason O Miner DDS LLC
- Jeff Nelson
- Greg Mann
- John C Hening DDS of Junction Creek Family Dentistry
- David Lurye DDS of Ridgway Family Dentistry
- Ryan Whitman of Durango Family Dentistry
- Dr. Ryan Mickelson DDS
- Dr. Mark Blue DDS of Four Corners Periodontics
- Vaughn A Johnson DDS, Florida Road
- Kari Plante of San Juan Basin Health Department
- James Eich of Oak Family Dentistry
- Terrence J Jakubanis DDS
- Helen Drexler, President and CEO of Delta Dental
- Dr. Brian L West DDS of Periodontics an Dental Implants